Usually, you head to the farmers market to pick up the freshest ingredients, but some foods need a little extra time.
Several booths at the Santa Barbara Farmers Market sell fermented products, food that goes through a metabolic process that converts sugar to acids, gases, or alcohol.
With Santa Barbara’s Fermentation Festival fast approaching, KCRW market host Katie Hershfelt went on a hunt for fermented goods.
Fermented items at the market:
- Sprouted legumes, seeds and grains from Ojai Sprouts
- Sprouted almonds from Fat Uncle Farms
- Spicy green chili sauce and pickles from Shepherd Farms
- Olives and dry martini mix from California Coast Naturals
- Sourdough bread and starters from Piedrasassi
- Salt cured lemons from Hilltop and Canyon Farm
- Raw/aged cheese and cultured butter at Spring Hill Cheese
The Santa Barbara Fermentation Festival is Sunday, September 11th in Goleta.
To check out all our past farmers market segments, head to kcrw.com/meetatthemarket.